Tech Tip – How To Clean Your Smartphone
If you’re wondering how you can effectively and safely clean your smartphone as an extra way to help protect yourself from the threat of bacteria and viruses, here’s some advice from a medical expert:
As featured on the BBC and in some national newspapers recently, Dr Lena Ciric, a microbiologist from University College London, advises (in her video, on YouTube – see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwPVqXrJitI) that you can make sure your smartphone is really clean in the following way:
– Unplug your smartphone, turn it off and remove the case.
– Dampen a microfibre cloth with water and household hand soap e.g. the soap dispensing bottle type.
– Gently rub the surfaces of the phone with the damp cloth. Try not to get moisture in any of the openings.
– Dry the phone with a clean microfibre cloth.
– Washing your hands regularly and thoroughly can reduce the number of germs that you put on your phone after you’ve washed it.
In the video, Dr Ciric also notes that Apple says that iPhones can also be safely cleaned using 70 per cent isopropyl wipes alcohol.
As well as computer viruses, everyone now needs to consider biological viruses so maintaining hygiene both personally and professionally will now be more important than ever.